Of all of the registration-free annotation tools I have used, Webklipper has to be one of the most complete. This site allows for uploads of documents along with commenting and sharing of websites or images. Here is how it works:
- Go to Webklipper and click on ‘Start using Webklipper now’ and you will be taken to a new page.
- On the left-hand side, there are six options: new note, webpage, PDF, image, text file, or bunch of files or URLs.
- Click on ‘New note’ and a text box appears on the right. Click on ‘Choose a title’ to add a new title.
- Type or paste in your text in the box below and then choose your style, font size, text style, bullets or lists, or add a link. Once you are done, click on ‘Submit’ to see the page.
- Click on ‘Webpage’ to paste or type in a URL in the ‘enter a URL’ box. Click on ‘Submit’ to see the next page.
- Click on ‘PDF’ to add a PDF document, click on ‘Image’ to submit a picture, or click on ‘Text file’ to attach a text file. Click on ‘Upload file from your PC’ to grab a file from your computer or click on ‘enter a URL for a file’ to paste or type in a URL from a file already online. Once you have uploaded a file or given a URL, click on ‘Submit’ to be taken to the next page.
- To add multiple files or URLs, click on ‘Bunch of files or URLs’ and add a title in the box labelled ‘Choose a title’. Click on ‘Upload files from your PC’ and select multiple files using either a command/ctrl click, or a shift-click. To add multiple URLs, add a URL in the box ‘enter a URL’ and then click on the ‘+’ sign at the end. Add a new URL and continue doing that until it is finished. Click on ‘Submit’ to go to the next page.
- The next page displays the text, image, document, or webpage with a toolbar at the top of the page and toolkit on the right side of the page. In the toolkit, there are highlighter (most pages), comments, and sharing tools.
- For the highlighter, under the ‘Highlights’ title, click ‘on’ to start the highlighter. Click-and-drag the highlighter to highlight some text.
- For comments, click on ‘Add new’ under the ‘Comments’ title and a comment box will appear on the page. Type in your comments in the box labelled ‘Add a comment’ and click on ‘Save’. Click-and-drag the box to move it to the spot you want it to be. Click on the blue dot on the left of the comment to hide the comment. The blue dot will remain with a number in it. Other who visit the page can click on the dot to show the comments and then reply by typing in the box labelled ‘Leave a reply…’.
- Click on a shape under the ‘Shapes’ title and that shape will appear on the page. I was unable to move the shape in Safari, but it may work in other browsers.
- Click on the chain symbol under the ‘Share’ title and a you will find a link to the page that you can share with others. You can also share it on Facebook or Twitter.
Have you used Webklipper before? How well did it work for you? Add you comments below, send me a Tweet at @nathanghall, or email me using the contact form on this website. Thanks!