One of the things I have students do for my EAP and business classes is to locate and read articles or news reports on topics that are interesting and relevant for them. Sometimes, I will locate some articles that I would like the class to read before coming to class and I post it on our class website. This allows the students to read them on their own time using whatever device they would like. This often means they will read it on some sort of mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet. One web app that works well for collating and sharing online texts is Readlist. Readlist compiles a list of links into an ebook that is accessible from a number of devices. Here is how it works:
- Go to Readlists and click on ‘Make A Readlist’.
- On the top-left, give the list a name by typing in the area that says ‘Untitled Readlist’. Give it a description by typing in the area called ‘Give this Readlist a description’.
- Leaving this page open (new window or new tab), go to the website that you would like to add to the ebook and copy the URL from the browser address bar.
- Go back to the Readlist window or tab and click on the line that says ‘Enter an article URL to get started’ and click on ‘Add’.
- Continue to do this until you have added all of the articles you would like to compile into the book.
- Once you are done, share the link with the students. This is found under the ‘Share’ heading on the left-hand side.
- Students go to the page and can read the articles by clicking on the links or can download the ebook for their iPad, iPod, iPhone, or Kindle device by clicking on the appropriate link on the left-hand side of the page.
- You can also embed the page onto your blog or website by clicking on the ‘Embed’ link on the left.