There are a number of ways to do a screen capture on your computer, but what happens when you want to make an image capture of a full webpage? This isn’t possible without installing something on your computer, but there is a way you can do it online for free using Screenshot Machine. Here is how it works:
- Find a website you would like to capture as an image and copy the URL (the web address near the top of the browser window).
- Go to Screenshot Machine and paste the URL into the box that says ‘Enter web page URL’.
- Before starting the process, choose the resolution you would like by clicking on the ‘Screen resolution’ dropdown menu. You can choose from:
- Full page: an image of everything on the page. This can be a really long image, but can be edited using any standard image editor.
- 1024 x 768px
- 800 x 600px
- 400 x 300px
- 320 x 240px
- Full page – mobile device: This uses the browser version of the webpage for the full-size image. This is good if you want to show what the website looks like on a mobile device such as a smartphone.
- 480 x 800px – mobile device
- Once you have chosen your resolution, click on the big, orange ‘start capture’ button and wait until a green ‘download’ button appears.
- Click on the ‘Download’ button to either view the image in your browser or start the download process. This depends on what browser you have used. If the image appears in your browser, right-click (or Command-click on a Mac) on the image to choose to download it to your computer. I noticed that Screenshot Machine hosts the image, which is an option when sharing it with someone or linking to it on your website. What I am not sure about is how long they will host it. The best option is always to host it yourself to be sure that the image won’t disappear without notice, but this is a good short-term solution.
- This doesn’t work on all webpages, but I have found it to work on most.
- For websites that display ads based on location, the image shows ads from Slovakia since that is where Screenshot Machine is hosted. This shouldn’t be a problem, but it does explain some of the strange ads in the images.
- There is a limit of 100 images per month which is more than enough for most people.
Here is a short video on how to use it:
I am adding this to my Webtools: No Registration Needed for Students page under the Screencapture section.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to write a comment below, send me a message through the contact page, or tweet me at @nathanghall. Thank you!